University of TN Extension Resources
Virginia Tech Extension Resources
Beginner Beekeeper Short Course Presentations (Carrol County, VA)
Beekeeping Resources and Links (Carrol County, VA).
Includes a beekeepers guide to yearly apiary management in Virginia, beekeeping basics, and links to short courses
VDACs, Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
Beekeeper Recommended YouTube Resources
What is Agroforestry/Intro to Agroforestry
Forest Farming (Edible, Medicinal, & Decorative Species)
Multifunctional Riparian Forest Buffers
Educational Silvopasture Video Series, Virginia Tech Extension
Native Fruits + Nuts
Tree and Shrub Planting
Tree + Shrub Care
Other Agroforestry Organizations
- The Land institute, Natural Systems Agriculture | The Land Institute
- The Savanna Institute, Savanna Institute | Laying the groundwork for agroforestry in the Midwest
- USDA National Agroforestry Center, USDA National Agroforestry Center
- University of Missouri, Center for Agroforestry, The Center for Agroforestry at the University of Missouri
- Appalachian Beginning Forest Farmer Coalition Forest Farming | Appalachian Beginning Forest Farmer Coalition (appalachianforestfarmers.org)
- West Virginia Forest Farming Initiative WV Forest Farming Initiative – Home
- Ask and Agroforester Webinars
- NAC Webinar Library – The USDA National Agroforestry Center (NAC) has recently updated its library of archived webinars related to agroforestry practices and related issues, including webinars presented by NAC staff. The webinar now contains over 160 archived webinars and can be filtered by agroforestry practice or year. To learn more visit NAC’s Webinar Library.
- UMCA Agroforestry in Action Webinar Series UMCA Agroforestry Webinar Series
- Savanna Institute – YouTube Savanna Institute’s Nutshell Webinar series
- Non-timber forest products Archived Webinar Series
Beginning Farmer/Gardener Resources
Virginia Cooperative Extension – Lawn and Garden
Tennessee Cooperative Extension – Residential and Consumer Hortiulture
Post-Harvest Care – general guidelines and specifics for commonly grown crops
Learning Landscape/Farm to SchooL
Interest Survey for those interested in joining the Farm to School Coalition
New Farm Business Resources
Introduction to Organic Gardening Manual
The Introduction to Organic Gardening manual provides the basic, foundational knowledge needed to begin an organic garden. Information in this book has been training new backyard and market gardeners in our Grow Your Own home gardening program for years using data drawn from agricultural best practices and evidence based research.
Organic Growers Materials Manual
This material is based upon work supported by USDA/NIFA under Award Number 2021-70027-34722
A result of uncertain natural growth processes of crops and livestock. Weather, disease, pests, and other factors affect both the quantity and quality of commodities produced.
Risky Business Webinar Series – Appalachian Sustainable Development
Conservation Incentives for Farmers – Virginia Sustainable Farms and Agribusiness Education Initiative
Created by the variability of prices producers receive for their production, the access they have to markets for their products, and the prices and the availability of inputs.
Farmers’ Market SNAP Fruit & Vegetable Incentives: Improving Customer Health and Vendor Wealth – Virginia Sustainable Farms and Agribusiness Education Initiative
Occurs due to the capital-intensive nature of farming and ranching businesses. Volatility of prices, yields and income impact the debt-repayment ability and a business’s cash liquidity. Changing interest rates, credit rules, and the availability of credit are also aspects of financial risk. Financial risk is often intensified by the lack of detailed financial analysis and planning.
Generated by uncertainties surrounding and resulting from government policies and regulations related to tax laws, food safety, labeling and marketing, protected species, water use, animal health and welfare, chemical use, animal waste, other environmental issues such as clean air and water, government commodity and income support programs, and the legal liabilities of a variety of litigious issues faced by farms and ranches.
Basic Estate Planning 2021 – Alabama Cooperative Extension
Farm Succession Fact Sheet: Land Access, Acquisition, and Transfer – Alabama A&M University
Refers to human relationships that impact the viability of farm and ranch businesses including communication, labor management and supply, business succession and intergenerational transfer of assets and management, estate planning, and human health and relationship issues including accidents, illness, disability, death and divorce.
Communicating During Stressful Times: Mental Health Issues for Farmers, their Families, and their Communities – Oklahoma State University
Farmer Financial Health and Wellbeing Assessment: A Tool for Fostering Supportive Financial Conversations – Virginia Cooperative Extension
Food Insecurity & Hunger in Virginia – Virginia Cooperative Extension
Four Steps to Crisis Communication – Mississippi State University
Managing Financial Risk for a Healthy Farm and a Healthy Farm Family – Virginia Cooperative Extension
The Online Local Food Guide is a handy resource that lists local and regional farms, products that are being grown and raised in the region, farmers market locations and hours, breweries, wineries, restaurants and more.
On This Page